Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Seasons

Pumpkin Time!

I love different varieties of gourds! 

It's pretty safe to say that we're in the fall season here. The weather has changed, every once in awhile, you see trees with different colors. The poison ivy is a definite red and the daylight hours are few. I love seasonal changes. I was just getting tired of so many perfect days, lovely weather, lots of the same old, same old. Now, we've had some windy, blustery, rainy days and all I want to do is hurry home and get cozy with my family. I want to curl up on the couch and watch the palm trees sway with the wind gusts and read a book with a nice cup of tea.

Pretty soon, I'll long for a few pieces of pumpkin pie and then I'll tire of that and want to decorate with familiar things that make me think of cold, snowy days. (But of course, I'll get none of those here) And after that I'll get sick of being at home cooped up all the time and long for signs of life outside and go outside and find spring arriving. And just when I can't believe it, we'll hit the lazy days of summer. Summertime brings the long days filled with family, fun and a certain degree of boredom. And then I'll pine for the yummy smell of fresh notebooks and freshly sharpened pencils and the thrill of new school supplies and uniforms. And pretty soon it will be fall again and I'll start the cycle all over again.

The only part that is particularly difficult for me, is that the seasons here are very subtle. And summer days are filled with dense fog and sweaters. It is a little disconcerting to my seasonal soul, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

In the meantime, my mouth is beginning to water for some yummy sweet potato pie and stuffing. Mmmmm.

No comments: